The Russel Hill Cancer Foundation provides assistance to eligible cancer patients on a regular basis. Over the past year, the Foundation provided transportation assistance, medication assistance, massage therapy socks and flu shots to approximately 350 cancer patients.
The Russel Hill Cancer Foundation also provided ancillary supplies for research patients that are important for proper execution of research trials and for patient comfort including:
- Ambulatory infusion pumps allow patients to continue with normal daily activities during treatment.
- A mobile temperature monitoring device insures investigational product integrity.
- Home thermometers for research patients monitor for fever, as an early sign of infection.
- Heating pads warm the patients’ infusion sites for comfort.
- A blanket warmer was also funded by the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity at UAH.
Quite often cancer patients have lost weight, their blood counts may be low and they may be anemic. Thus, some cancer patients tend to be very cold. A warm blanket provides much needed warmth and comfort, while allowing patients to focus on getting well. In conjunction with local donors, the Foundation has been able to purchase four blanket warmers and they have been placed at all CCI locations.
In conjunction with family members and organizations such as the GFWC du Midi Woman’s Club, the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity at UAHuntsville, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Foundation has been able to purchase six beautiful outdoor stone benches. These benches have been engraved and placed in front of Clearview Cancer Institute in Huntsville in memory of or in honor of cancer patients. These benches are used on a daily basis by patients who are being dropped off and picked up at the front doors of the cancer institute. The benches are a lasting reminder of those we serve.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
— Winston Churchill